Salve it up and walk away…
If you’ve been following me for awhile you know I adore all things by Wise Owl Paint. So much that I decided to become a retailer a little over a year ago. Wise Owl has an amazing line of premium products that has you covered from start to finish but the most versatile product is their Furniture Salve. I use it so often that I have several tins scattered around my home and shop. While many people have heard of the amazing Furniture Salve, I still get asked often “Well what exactly does it do?” The shortest answer is “What DOESN’T salve do?”
Wise Owl Paint’s core philosophy is to create premium products without compromising your health or the environment. A lot of waxes and furniture polishes contain solvents and chemical fillers. Furniture Salve is a 100 percent natural product that uses Hemp oil, Coconut Oil, and three different waxes. The oils condition your surface while the three waxes cure within 30 days for a durable finish. With salve, you can revive, rejuvenate, protect and seal all in one easy, safe step! Another amazing benefit to salve is that it kills mildew, bacteria, and fungus while neutralizing odors. That dresser with musty smelling drawers? Salve it up and walk away!
Furniture salve is available in thirteen specially curated scents using essential oils. Each scent is aromatically pleasing without being overwhelming. Not into scents? No problem! Furniture Salve is also available unscented. Wise Owl describes each scent as follows:
- Lemon Verbena: Bright lemon and floral verbena combine to make our most popular scent. The scent begins with verdant lime, grapefruit & lemon; then lavender, geranium rose & lemongrass complete the undertones adding a soft, woody musk.
- White Tea: Quite possibly our most feminine scent, White Tea includes notes of bergamot, lavender, mandarin, thyme, ginger, and lemon. It has a base profile of tea with a flowery finish.
- Riotous Rain: Many scents can be classified as either masculine or feminine, however Riotous Rain isn’t one of them. It has universal appeal with masculine woody and musk base notes, yet it has an enchanting fusion of herbs and amber that give it a feminine touch too, including sage, lavender, and orange.
- Tobacco Flower: A masculine masterpiece! It is bold and complex, leading with a top note of leather, tobacco, amber and musk. The middle is a spicy mixture of black tea and pepper, while the base note is aged teakwood with tones of patchouli and sandalwood.
- Noir Moon: A rich and sultry fragrance with notes of amber, tobacco, and sweet vanilla. This is truly a unique, warm, and delicious scent that includes coriander and spice! Many say this scent is like a warm hug from Grandma.
- Teakwood and Amber: Spicy and sweet, amber and moss. This androgynous scent is masculine and feminine at the same time. Bold and complex, leading with spicy top notes of ginger, peppercorn, vanilla and spice. The middle notes of amber, Himalayan salt and aged teakwood blend into the woody, deep base of sandalwood and amber, with the freshness of blood orange.
- Foxtrot: Saunter through an evergreen forest with an ax wielding lumberjack Cypress and Bayberry meets clean vetiver vibes. This salve has base notes of moss, fir, and eucalyptus. Middle notes of cypress and bayberry blend with rich undertones of citrus, musk, and earthiness. Packed with the power of Patchouli, mint, elemi, fir balsam, geranium, orange, patchouli, and vetiver essential oils that intensify the fresh foliage notes. This is a traditional masculine scent that had broad appeal due to the woodsy scents inspired by nature.
- The Botanist: The essence of the outdoors, this aromatic scent has a pleasing mix of fresh cut grass, botanical herbs, Japanese Cherry Blossoms, and violets. It’s top notes of green grass and bergamot lend to it’s outdoorsy feel. Soothing lavender and sage elevate the herbal aspect of the scent while a touch of oakmoss in the background adds depth.
- Cactus Blossom: Cactus flower, white currant and jade are combined to form this luscious scent that is bright and fresh. This salve was curated to reflect the emergence of spring after a long winter slumber. Sweet agave and water aloe enhance the fresh-cut green leaves and chrysanthemum petals, while base notes of patchouli and jade ground it with a pleasing earthiness.
- Citrus Mint: Ripe, juicy grapefruit and garden-fresh mint are at the forefront of this super refreshing and sophisticated scent. This salve scent is vibrant, cool, and crisp! Hints of lavender, apple, rose, and rhubarb add a subtle sweetness, while thyme and bergamot lend a botanical twist to soften the fresh mint and tangy grapefruit high notes.
Now for the magic!
I use furniture salve on nearly every project in my shop. The one it gets used the most on is drawers. While older furniture is superior in more ways than one, it often comes with one downfall: a musty smell.
The thing I love the most about using salve on drawers and the insides of pieces is that it doesn’t just cover up the musty smell. It ELIMINATES it. Drawers get a beating and are often ignored in the general upkeep of furniture. Furniture salve will make drawers slide better, look better, and smell better while actually making them better. The ingredients in the salve will also protect and seal the wood in the drawers.
Another great use for furniture salve is to use it to seal Chalk Synthesis paint. Wise Owl has an incredible line of top coats that I use often, but I love using salve over dark colors. It is the easiest top coat to apply and gives the paint a velvetly richness that you can only get from salve. Simply apply, let it soak in, and buff smooth! My favorite brushes to use when applying salve are the Wise Owl round brushes. The 1.5 inch brush has a handle while the 2″ brush is a palm brush. Both brushes are substainial and great for applying salve to any surface. And because salve will not dry out on your brush, there is no need to wash it! I have my dedicated salve brush that sits on my shelf next to my salve cans.
Revive leather (real and faux!)
Furniture Salve will bring those old boots back to the day you bought them! You can also use salve on leather furniture and even vehicle interiors.
Rejuvenate worn cabinetry
Salve will add moisture back to dried out cabinetry and even out water stains. Salve is my number one recommendation for any issue with wood.
Other surfaces I’ve used furniture salve on include metal patio furniture, stainless steel appliances, wicker baskets, even my black granite sink (try it…it’s life changing!). I could go on and on about all the uses for Furniture Salve and I am constantly learning more ways to use this amazing product. From bringing out the beauty in wood to fixing an issue with a surface, furniture salve has you covered. If you haven’t tried it yet, what are you waiting for?!